The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

unprotected sex for once

Sep 22, 2005

it makes me feel really good when i read some answers to a 27 yrs woman.i got married four years ago after i was dynosed of presently on triomune and my CD4 is at 350 and VL for my husband he refuses to go for screening though he gets some fear here is that though we have protected sex, i will want have a baby.if he is + and i have unprotected sex with him in order to get pregnant,will that affect my VL count.thanks

Response from Dr. Frascino


Having unprotected sex would place your husband at risk for HIV. Also, if he is HIV infected, it would place you at risk for superinfection. That means you could acquire a different strain of HIV and that could have a detrimental effect on your health. If you decide to have a baby, I would suggest in vitro fertilization. The sperm could be tested for HIV, thereby eliminating any risk for you. And since unprotected sex is not required, there is no risk to your husband.

Speaking of your husband, I am concerned about his reluctance to get tested. Obviously he is very scared. Continue to encourage him to address these fears. Perhaps he could come to your doctor's visits and you could discuss with your HIV specialist the whole situation, including plans for starting a family. Hopefully the specialist will also be able to address your husband's reluctance to get tested.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Please give me the "ok" to WOO-FRICKIN-HOO
Home Test Kits - PLEASE answerest ki

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint