window period: 40ft glass panel or porthole?

Hey Dr Bob

I'll admit after my possible insertive vaginal exposure in January I've been slowly sliding towards madness, like Shakespere's MacBeth. Despite having negative ELISA tests at 5 and 6.9 months I have sinse written to you believing I have Kapasois Sarcoma (wrongly, it was bruising) and everything else under the sun. Basically, I have one question...

"Extended follow-up beyond 6 months after exposure to account for possible delayed seroconversion is not generally recommended and should be based on clinical judgment and individual client's needs"

What criteria would one have to fill to have these repeat follow-ups? I've had persistant folliculitus sinse June (although its got better with antibiotics), now at 8 months an "ARS illness" which could well be the flu but does bring my lymph nodes up. I also took Tegratol for epilepsy from 1996-2000 and for the last 3 years have been getting VERY irregular sleep and always tired (bed each night at 2-3am), could these factors extend my window period?. Soooo am I a candidate for an extended follow up? I know symptoms don't equal disease, but I read a figure that said delayed seroconversion is in around 1 in 10,000 people. That's still about 4,000 worldwide in 25 years..like you say, missing a diagnosis of HIV sucks.

Thanks mate, MacBeth.

Hello Macbeth,

Are you a candidate for extended follow-up testing? Nope. The criteria for recommending testing beyond six months can vary from situation to situation. But I can assure you that you do not qualify. HIV is not your problem. Fear of HIV, yes. But HIV itself, no! Tegretol and/or irregular sleep do not alter the window period.

So going back to Shakespeare, you must now decide TO BE (a nervous wreck) or NOT TO BE (a nervous wreck). That is the question!!! I'd suggest some counseling to help you accept the truly wonderful news that you are definitively HIV negative.

Risk related to time of intercourse and size of penis?
concern