Condoms with Spermicide's

My fiance (negative) and I (positive) regularly engage in protected (w/condom) intercourse.

We are both in our 60's. I have been positive for 3 years but appear to be a non-progessor (vl - 20,000 & CD4 - 500-550). I have bloodwork every 3 months.

Her doctor recently told her to be sure and use a condom with a spermicide. We bought some Trojan "Very Sensitive" condoms with spermicide (Nonoxynol-9). When I saw this on the label, I told her about your concerns with this type of spermicide and we continue to use that same brand that is lubricated with no spermicide.

I regularly play golf with my her doctor and mentioned your concern over using Nonoxynol-9. He was not aware of the possible injury to her vagina lining. He does not have any HIV patients other than me and he referred me several years ago to a doctor who specializes in HIV.

My question is - is it safe ("safer") to use a condom with ONLY lubricant. Are there any spermicides that are "ok". We always use Astro Glide.

I read in the Trojan website that all it's condoms that have lubricant w/spermicidal are Nonoxynol-9.

Your thoughts?

Her doctor was unaware that Nonoxynol-9 could cause damage to the vaginal mucosa, thereby facilitating the transmission of HIV???? Uh-oh . . . . This guy needs to spend less time on the golf courses and more time on medical refresher courses! He's out of touch!

My advice is for you and your fiancé to continue to use latex condoms with water-based lubricants (Astroglide is fine). Spermicides are not necessary. I also suggest you get your HIV-related information from your HIV specialist (and reputable sources like this Web site), rather than from Tiger Woods. In addition, take a read through the information in the archives pertaining to magnetic couples.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

Stay well.

0.5 in 10,000 - no 'real' difference between recieving & giving oral??
Risk related to time of intercourse and size of penis?