My partner & his partners are HIV positive. I'm negative, how come?

Dear Doctor, I'm a ugandan I live in Uganda. In August 2001 I started a relationship with a man who's wife had just died. He said she got malaria and when she went to hospital she was put on a glucose drip only to discover that she had diabetes so she died. we had unprotected sex for 2 years and then we broke up in January 2003 because he was cheating on me.I have never had sex in anyway with anyone since then. In October 2003 I heard that one of his girlfriends at the same time as me had tested HIV Positive. I took an AIDS test. the result was back within 20 min and it was negative. In Novemeber 2004 I was told that actually his wife had died of AIDS. His child from the relationship before me has also tested positive. I took the test and again I was negative. Now last night i was told that he has also tested positive and has signed up for the ARV drug program. I'm confused, I want to be HIV negative but according to this info can a really be? my life has changed. I've been celibate since January 2003.I have never done drugs, I've had a tooth extraction but i'm sure they used sterilised equipment. I used to get malaria often but I 've not had it for 2 years even though I don't use a mosquitoe net. Apart from ocassional migranes headache I'm a picture of health. Has God healed me or is this the clam before the storm? I want to donate blood but people know my history what will they think when they see me in the que to donate blood? Please Doctor answer me.

Not every exposure to HIV leads to HIV infection. In fact, most do not! It is indeed possible that despite having had unprotected sex for two years with an HIV-positive partner, that you are indeed still HIV negative! In fact, considering you've had negative HIV tests 10 months and almost two years after your last contact with him, I would say you are conclusively and definitively HIV negative! Not only are you the "picture of health," you're actually healthy! God has not "healed" you, as you were never infected. Consequently, I do not feel this is the calm (or "clam," for that matter) before any storm. I also see no reason why, as a confirmed HIV-negative person, you should not donate blood.

Stay well.

elisa etst @ 14 weeks after PEP
0.5 in 10,000 - no 'real' difference between recieving & giving oral??