Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

symptoms?
Sep 22, 2005

A little over two months ago, I had protected insertive oral at a massage parlor and managed to insert my finger into the worker's vagina during the process. The next day, I noticed that I had a small cut just underneath my fingernail that was in the process of healing on the insertive finger. I don't know whether the cut was "fresh" or not at the time of the contact. I freaked out pretty severely, and about 10 days later, developed muscle twithing all over my body, but primarily in my legs, that has continued since. I have also experienced loss of appetite and loose bowels pretty consistently. I've also had 2-3 occasions when I woke up in the middle of the night in a sweat. I came down with some kind of upper respiratory problem that involved coughing and lots of phlegm a couple of weeks ago, but that is all gone now. The muscle twitching, appetite, and bowel problems have been fairly consistent for the last several weeks, although there was a brief 3-day period where it all seemed to be gone after I returned from a vacation. Should I be extremely worried? I have been obsessing about this non-stop for the last 2 and 1/2 months, and I have a history of anxiety issues, so I figured that could be part of the problem. Based on everything I've read, it doesn't sound like ARS since the symptoms have persisted for so long, but I'm still freaked out. And I really wish my appetite would come back, as I am normally a voracious eater. I've also experienced sore/tired muscles at times, especially in the legs, and the muscle twitching sometimes seems worse immediately following exercise.

Thanks for all the wonderful work you do on this board. It is much appreciated. I'll be sending a donation your way.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

"Muscle twithing all over my body?????" Hmmm . . . what's "twithing???" No matter.

Should you be "extremely worried???" No, of course not. I believe you are correct when you surmised your "anxiety issues" could be the real cause of symptoms. Although based on what you have told me, I do not feel HIV testing is necessary or warranted to evaluate a potential HIV exposure. If you remain obsessed and excessively worried, you could get tested at the three-month mark to calm your fears and put your mind at ease. You should also consider counseling to help with your underlying anxiety issues. Your symptoms are consistent with anxiety, not HIV ARS.

Thank you for your donation. Helping others in desperate need is an excellent way to help keep our own problems (or potential problems) in their proper perspective.

Good luck!!!

Dr. Bob

Previous
indeterminate test result
Next
Can I sleep now? Please answer me, really desperate!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.