Worried for Over a Year!

Hi Dr. Bob,

I am concerned that I may have contracted HIV from a previous relationship. I have no reason to believe the person whome I was with had ever even come in contact with the virus. It has been 3 years since the relationship ended. I tested HIV negative a year ago from a test ordered by my doctor. I have also given blood on several occasions, and they keep inviting me back for more. Not that blood donations should be used as a vehicle for testing, but I was assured that I was fine. I still keep having the nagging feeling concerning a false negative, maybe a lab mistake. What would the chances of this be? Should I be retested?

I would like to contribute to you organization. Please tell me how.

Hello, A single "false negative" test is extremely rare. If we add the fact that you have had multiple HIV screening tests (blood donations), that would mean there would have to be multiple "false negative" tests. Realistically speaking, the statistical odds of this happening are nonexistent. Should you be retested? No, retesting is not warranted. Rather, you need to treat "the nagging feeling." Counseling would be the best way to confront and conquer your irrational fears of having a disease you could not possibly have. Thank you for your willingness to help others in desperate need. At the present time, my foundation, The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation, is working with national groups to assure food, housing, medication and health care to HIV-positive victims and evacuees of Katrina. Your one gift will touch many lives. Donation information can be found on the Foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. Stay well. Remember HIV is not your problem. Dr. Bob

HIV & Fellation
hiv and non hogdkin's lymphoma