Response to "I Beg You"

I feel compelled to respond to the woman who was not taking meds and contemplating ending her life because she could never find a husband or become a mother. I was diagnosed almost ten years ago and have been on medications for most of that period. It has not been an easy ride - medication side affects suck and my face doesn't look to good either - but life today could not be better.

I have a wonderful partner who is HIV negative. Together we adopted a 6 year old boy in 2000 and I now spend my time helping with homework, teaching soccer and reading stories to him at night. Now my biggest fears are not HIV - but my son becoming a teenager. Most important of all though - I became a father fully disclosing my HIV status. It hardly seemed a good way to become a father - telling a lie about my health condition.

The shock, pain, guilt and fear over becoming HIV positive is real. I get that. It never really goes away either. Not completely. With a little work and an open mind, however, HIV can bring joys and opportunities into a person's life that otherwise might never happen. I am a more thoughtful, sensitive and open-minded man because of all the shit this damn disease has put me through - and continues to put me through.

I hope this woman takes your advice and at least makes an effort to see if there is a better way for her. Who knows, that man she's looking for may be working in the pharmacy where she gets the meds!!

Many thanks for your thoughtful comments. I couldn't agree more.

By the way, my current pharmacist is "heaven on a stick" and he's available, too!!!!!

Stay well. Give your son a hug from me and save one for yourself as well.

Someone else used my sex toy without my Knowledge??!!
anal sex always transmits hiv with positve top ?