Very concerned about contact with someone at school

Hello Dr. Frascino,

Well, although it's my first time writing, I have often read your responses to people's questions while actually laughing out loud. You have a wonderful sense of humor and I have a lot of respect for the work you do.

So, let me get to the point. I'm hoping you may be able to help me. I've recently changed jobs and become an elementary school secretary.

Here's the clincher. Today, a woman came in to register her child at the school. I know (from living in a small community) that she has HIV and Hepatitis C. I didn't realize it was her until after I had already touched her papers, shook her hand, touched the child's ID, etc. I didn't check to see if this woman had any open cuts, heck, for all I know, I could have touched her blood!

So, now here I am. Scared that I've come into contact with either of the diseases and feel that the entire school office is contaminated. I know HIV dies quickly, but could it have happened that fast? And what about Hep C...I've heard it can last for days and weeks on a surface.

Please help...oh, and I'm tough, so you can even razz me a little with your quick wit.

Thank you for all you do. You are an incredible person.

O.K., so we know you are a secretary, but now tell us: are you also blonde???

I'm glad you like my quips, but really, honey, do you read or retain any of the more serious HIV information in between my comments about our stumblebum President and the worried bi-curious cross-dressing Republican Mormon midgets who shagged some barely legal French prostitute named Chloe who had webbed feet and low-grade narcolepsy??? If you did read even a tiny, tiny bit of that more serious information, you would certainly realize that HIV and hep C are not spread by casual contact. And unless registering a kid for elementary school involves unprotected sex or sharing syringes, there is no frickin' way that you or the "entire school office" are contaminated! Now think about this for a minute, even if you are blonde. If HIV and hep C were that easy to catch, wouldn't the whole planet have been wiped out years ago? And if you can't comprehend this fact, all I can do is assume that even though your wheel is turning, the hamster is dead.

Good luck on your new job. (I think you may need it!)

Stay well!

Statistical Hell in Paradise
Waterpark Incident