Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

re: hot third world latin boys
Sep 11, 2005

Doctor, I just wanted to add my $.02 to this thread. The writer asked why people still put themselves at risk 20 years into the pandemic. I'm living proof that sometimes the reasons are entirely personal, individual and irrational.

I'll be brief: I'm 45 years old, HIV-, single and haven't been in a steady relationship in years. I actually work in the HIV/AIDS field, with a housing provider in NYC. I once worked in AIDS street outreach. I know the facts, the risks and the consequences. But because of my present relationship status, there are days when I am just lonely and horny. I have been known to fool around in the steam room at my gym (along with other lonely, horny men). I've never done anything worse than oral sex, but I know I'm dealing with strangers who may have any number of STDs. It's just that the need to be touched by another man is all-consuming.

So, we can do HIV education and create pamphlets and smart commercials, but until we are able to address isolation, self-esteem, emotional and physical neediness, people will always do things that make no sense given all the information out there.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Thank you for keeping it real!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Imiquimod for HIV+'s....
Next
Still worried???

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.