NICU RN back with a question about vinyl gloves

Recently a co-worker and I were discussing latex allergies, and she said that when she had tried to buy vinyl gloves from a manufacturer they told her that HIV and hepatitis could penetrate vinyl and that she needed to buy the nitrile gloves. Now, that kinda freaked me out b/c I know I have used vinyl gloves (I'm not latex allergic, they were simply the closest thing to me when I was drawing blood) and I know I've blood all over the fingertips of them b/c heelsticks on babies can get quite bloody. When I took the gloves off all times, though, there was no visible blood on my hands. I also always wash my hands vigorously after removing gloves of any kind. Could it be possible for HIV to leak through the vinyl in particulates small enough not to be visible and yet still be contagious? Does that make any sense what I'm asking (sometimes I go off on tangents, lol.)? I know that latex protects as long as it's intact, but what about tiny microscopic holes in the gloves that aren't visible to the naked eye. Are they a concern?

This has me a bit worried b/c I know sometimes I do have hangnails. Also, my understanding of broken skin susceptible to HIV is not a papercut size lesion or a hangnail, but rather an actual open cut that would essentially probably be bleeding leading directly to your circulatory system and allows viruses or bacteria to invade. Am I correct in that?

Does any of this even warrant concern or testing? I'm kinda freaking here.

Also, I want to say that I agree with you 125% on Bush. What an absolute embarrassment. Check out this article that I wrote the other day and posted on a family finances board. I'm sure it's not as eloquently stated as some, but I think I make my point about how I feel about him and his old croonies. It created quite a stir. Actually more than a few agreed with me, except for the woman who had to tell me that GWB was the best pres ever and would go down in history for that (because of his morality, of course). WTF? Has she not read the news lately? His ratings are at an all-time low. I say bring back Clinton. So what if he got his knob slobbed. What is that compared to all of the atrocities that Bush has subjected this country to. I say where's Monica when you need her?

CHECK IT OUT......

I'm quite sure this will become a heated topic b/c it always is. But with that said I do think it can be an appropriate subject to discuss on a finances board b/c a lot of financial issues that we are currently dealing with have to do with his Administration.

Here are some of the problems I have with Bush:

1. He is unethical. He claims to be such a "Christian" and "ethical" man and uphold all of the "beliefs" of the Bible, but he allows things like tax breaks for oil companies that are making money hand over fist while middle-class and the indigent people of this country continue to struggle and actually get poorer by the year. He has Cheney as VP who could not get more unethical, with his Halliburton issues. If you don't believe me, just do some quick research and you'll see.

2. He can't separate church and state. Abortion and gay marriage should have not been at the forefront of his campaign last year when we had a "war" going on in Iraq. One that I might add has put our country in the worst financial shape that it's ever been in. He thumps the Bible for all who are dumb enough to listen to him about issues like abortion, but you let one of his daughters get knocked up out of wedlock and he'd have her down to a clinic so fast your head would spin. Gay marriage shouldn't even be his business. No I'm not gay nor would I have an abortion simply as a birth control method, but really people, do these issues affect me personally? NO they DO NOT. These should be the business of the people involved in that situation, not everyone in the country's business. However, issues such as the ludicrous tax breaks for the wealthy and evading all questions about oil prices do. When Diane Sawyer asked him last week about asking the oil industry to reduce their profits by a mere 20% during this crisis (which I might add would still have them making profits like you wouldn't believe) he completely evaded the question (as he frequently does) and stated" Well, what I'd like to see in corporate America is to make sure they are contributing to these victims". Again, no direct answer. In fact, I don't think ever once did I hear Diane Sawyer ask about corporate America contributing to the cause. She asked you about gas prices, Mr. Bush. I'd love for some reporter to be able to locate information about him getting funded under the table to not do anything about rising gas prices such as receiving heaps of $$ from his buds in the oil industry. C'mon, you know it happens. In fact, many of the oil companies contributed some $20 million to Bush's campaign last year. Every wonder?

3. He has our country in such financial crisis that one could never expect we would get the budget balanced again. When Clinton left office at least the budget was balanced. As far as I know on top of his salary, he has an unlimited expense account, so why would oil prices be a concern to him. He's never lived like most of us normal Middle class working Americans who struggle everyday. He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, and it's hard for him to come down to our level and understand what we go through on a daily basis and why we are in an uprising over these issues.

4. He has used Iraq and the Iraqis to get on the good side of the Americans who are dumb enough to still believe that there are weapons of mass destruction. Is this going to have to be another Vietnam to prove that there aren't? What the problem ultimately now is that Bush is in over his head with this war, and if he pulls out now he's going to look like a total Dumbass (which he already does I might add) but it would be that he would have to admit that he made some mistakes, and we all know he's not gonna do that. So hold on to your breeches America, I think we're in for another 3 1/2 years of Iraq. I also saw where the other day (Day 2 of Katrina) another bill had been passed to allow $46 million to go for food and housing in Iraq. Lovely, just lovely. When our own people are sitting in catastrophe and death in New Orleans and he cruises by in Air Force One with plenty of food, water, and toilet and has to "cut short" his five week vacation. Awwwww, I feel soooooo sorry for you, Mr. Bush.

5. He has cut funding for SELA which could have helped save a good portion of New Orleans to spend in Iraq and homeland security. We could have built better levees and had more resources when the previous director of FEMA was warning/predicting that the current catastrophe would happen. Bush doesn't want issues like this focused on.

There are so many more issues that I have with him but I though I'd just list a few.

I have to wonder with all honesty that if this was last year in the midst of the election when Katrina struck, would things have proceeded differently. Please, everyone sit back and reflect on some of these issues. He's not here to help you or me. He's going to do what he can to keep the almighty dollar in his and his corporate buddies' pockets and keep us fearful for the next layoff and closing of the local industry. America, really, when are you going to wake up? When are we going to get pissed off enough?

Hello NICU RN,

Welcome back to the forum.

Vinyl gloves are fine to use when latex gloves are not available or if someone is allergic to latex. This information should be in your NICU. In fact there should be a "policy and procedures" guide about all universal precautions against bloodborne pathogens readily available in your unit. If not, notify your nursing supervisor. Also, I should remind everyone that HIV cannot pass through intact skin (or a healing paper cut, hangnail, etc.) For your situation, I do not believe HIV testing is warranted.

Regarding Dubya, his true ineptitude is becoming ever more apparent. He really is George of the Bungle! He bungled Iraq and now he's bungling Katrina. Meanwhile the Halliburton vampires are ready to cash in once again. There motto should be "There's nothing like a time of need for a time of greed."

I know you're too afraid to answer me
Imiquimod for HIV+'s....