Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

David Fisher, Keith Charles? Wait! It's Drs Bob and Steve!
Sep 4, 2005

I figured a fellow fan would appreciate such a reference? What a great end to an amazing series... minus the final 3 mins or so? Anyway, I digress...

I had a seemingly low risk encounter several weeks ago. It's not quite time for my 3 month test. I am a 23 yr old straight male who received about 10 seconds of unprotected oral and 5-6 seconds of unprotected vaginal contact. I've read your odds and they are quite assuring.

My question lies more in the nature of the virus. Without turning this into a biochemistry class... how exactly does the virus work in bodily fluids? I'm terrified that vaginal fluid made its way into my urethra- a very small amount, but still... I fear.

How are the odds so small? Is HIV a very weak virus that needs to be in high concentration to pass on to another person? Are vaginal and salival fluids not very condusive to transporting the virus? 5 in 10,000 is such a longshot! But still, it must transmit somehow or else we wouldn't be suffering such a terrible pandemic.

Thank you for your continued advice. You are a true inspiration.

- A very curious Nathaniel Samuel Fisher

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Nathaniel,

Unfortunately there is no simple way to answer your questions directly without turning this into a biochemistry class. Suffice it to say that we've closely studied HIV for over two decades and understand a great deal about how and why HIV is or is not transmitted. Your 10 seconds of unprotected oral and 5-6 seconds of unprotected vaginal contact place you at very minimal risk. The statistics are astronomically in your favor. With or without a boring biochemistry lesson, your risk won't change. Yes, we have a terrible pandemic and yes, your risk is vanishingly slight. These two facts are not mutually exclusive. I have three pieces of advice for you:

1. Get your three-month test. In all likelihood it will be negative and you'll be WOO-HOO-ing louder than Brenda's mom screwing Claire's ex-art teacher who previously screwed Claire's ex-boyfriend.

2. Use protection to avoid future nightmare scenarios (like Billy having sex with his sister, Brenda).

3. Put out that damn cigarette and pay attention to your driving or you might get bashed to smithereens by a bus.

Good luck. (By the way, I thought the last 3 minute montage was brillant!)

"David and Keith"

Previous
"Cape fear" ,4th time,50 euros donated from Greece,hope for an answer.
Next
Re: Home Access Kits?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.