HIV and Prostatitis

Dr. Bob,

First let me say that you totally rule. I hope you look at yourself and smile every day because you are really providing an invaluable service.

My question is: I recently read that prostatitis in young men is commonly associated with HIV. However it didn't specifically say which type of prostatitis; acute bacterial/non-bacterial/chronic/ and so on.

I've recently been diagnosed with potentially having non-bacterial chronic prostatitis (also called chronic pelvic pain syndrome) and I'm only 24. The only reason I haven't been "officially" diagnosed yet is because I haven't had the symptoms long enough (2 months as opposed to the required 3 for an "official" diagnoses). I do, however, have many of the common symptoms (urinary frequency, low-grade pain in my lower back, upper legs, groin, slightly tender but not swollen glands, a weird kind of tingling in the tip of my penis, and so on) and the symptoms do come and go which is also common in CPPS. I've also had three negative UTI cultures and tested negative for prostate and bladder cancer.

I've been reading around a lot about CPPS and I haven't found anything about a relation to HIV infection. Also they've said CPPS can occur in younger, otherwise healthy men like me. So I'm confused. I don't know how exactly to view this link that they say exisits between HIV and prostatitis in young men.

I am in a steady relationship with a girl who I'm sure is negative AND I've gotten a negative ELISA at 14 months after my last potential exposure (idiotic, drunk unprotected sex 8-10 times with a girl of unknown status but I know she got drunk and slept around a lot. There was never any bleeding and I am circumcised and I don't have any other STDs).

I've got enough to worry about now with this damn CPPS. Do I have anything to worry about regarding HIV? Looking for official permission to whooo-hoooo....

Thanks and be well, Andrew

Hello Andrew,

I'm not sure where you read that information that "prostatitis in young men is commonly associated with HIV," as that is not true. Next, your 14-month negative ELISA confirms your definitive negative HIV status, assuming no additional exposures. Do you have anything to worry about regarding HIV? Nope. Official permission to WOO-HOO granted.

Finally, yes I do smile when I look in the mirror every morning, but not for the reasons you mention. Rather, I'm just glad to be here. As I've said before, every day above ground is a good day!

Stay well, Andrew.

mental scissors (low risk and testing)
Please help me...I am paralized with stress!