mental scissors (low risk and testing)

Hi Dr.Bob, You are absolutely amazing. It feels great to know people like you are out there. Now the question. My risk was a handjob. I read here it's a low risk one. I also learned that the average window period for the ELISA testing is 25 days. So I tested at 8 weeks, and the test was neg. But then, I read that people who take tests prior to 3-month mark need to be re-tested at 3 months. So on the one hand, it's a low risk and I don't need to be tested, and on the other hand, I need to be re-tested. If the test is 98% accurate at 90 days, how accurate is it at 60? These are the scissors that are cutting up my brain. Thank you. My hope and dream is to stop this decease all together some day. There isn't much I can do for that, since I'm not a doctor, but I'll donate to your organization. haircutgonebad

Hello Haircutgonebad,

OK. On the first hand, handjobs are not considered a risk for HIV transmission. On the other hand, HIV tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered definitive or conclusive. So regarding HIV, what kind of hand are you holding? I'd say your hand is unbeatable. (But then again, it was your hand-beating that generated the question . . . but I digress . . . .) I do not feel HIV testing is warranted. So put the scissors down. HIV is not your problem, OK?

Thank you for your willingness to help others struggling with the challenges of living with HIV/AIDS.

WOO HOO W/ Question
HIV and Prostatitis