Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

WOO HOO W/ Question

Sep 3, 2005

Dear Dr. Bob: Thanks again for the honest, clear, helpful advice you provide based on personal experience. You are helping untold thousands of people all over the world. It sounds cliche, but its really true in this case - we need many more people like you. I am the condom fumbler in Asia who has written to you twice before (fingered high risk women, then started putting on condom upside down, flipped condom over to put it on correctly, such that secretions and/or blood may have ended up on inside of condom; plus deep kissing). I've tested negative on two rapid tests at 8 weeks and 11 weeks and negative with MEIA (I'm told uses similar method as ELISA?) at 9 weeks and just today negative at 12.5 weeks. I'm feeling pretty WOO HOO, but still have a question. I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue and Immune Disfunction Syndrome some years ago. I know you think CFIDS is over-diagnosed and you often say there are probably psychological causes. In my case I can tell you the exact date in November, 1988 it started. I was healthy as an ox and reasonably happy, then suddenly came down with a serious mono-like illness which basically never went away. For the last 17 years I've had near-constant fatigue; soreness around lymph nodes; brain fog and difficulty in concentrating; need about 9 or 10 hours sleep a night and still feel groggy until my 3rd cup of coffee; and often get flus which wipe me out. If I don't have CFIDS, what else could it be? Or, let's not debate whether I have CFIDS or not. Let me ask this. For those folks who DO have CFIDS and/or Fibromyalgia will they develop antibodies to HIV just like everyone else? Is there evidence to suggest that the answer to that question is yes or no? I want to know if I should test again out to 4 and 6 months, or just fugetaboudit and move on with my life?? Thanks for your thoughts on this. This may be the last message you get from me. My second credit card contribution is on the way! Mildly Stressed In Asia

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Mildly Stressed,

Yes, MEIA is an HIV-antibody test similar to ELISA. Yes, negative antibody tests at 8, 9, 11 and 12.5 weeks are definitive, conclusive and WOO-HOO-able! Yes, CFIDS is frequently over-diagnosed. Yes, even if you do have chronic fatigue syndrome (doubtful from your description) and/or fibromyalgia, you would still make anti-HIV antibodies "just like everyone else." Yes, you should just "fuhgeddaboutit." No additional HIV testing is warranted or necessary.

Thank you for your donations!

Dr. Bob

Previous
UP in the South
Next
mental scissors (low risk and testing)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.