occupational exposure to HIV

I was trying to draw ABG from an AIDS patient. On first attempt I could not draw any blood and before I was going to try again with that needle I got stuck superficially. I would like to know how much risk I am for contracting HIV while I am on PEP regimen.

It is difficult to give you an accurate assessment of your risk without additional details. In prospective studies of healthcare providers, the average risk of HIV transmission, after a percutaneous exposure to HIV-infected blood, is estimated to be 0.3%. There are many factors that might affect the actual risk of HIV transmission during an occupational exposure, including:

1. quantity of blood 2. depth of injury 3. viral titer in source patient.

As with all occupational exposures, you should file an incident report, be evaluated by an HIV-knowledgeable physician and follow the guidelines for evaluation and management of occupational exposures. Your risk should be less than the estimated risk, because your wound was superficial and you are taking PEP.

Good luck! I'll send my best good-luck karma that you have not been infected by this incident.

end the war
UP in the South