Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

occupational exposure to HIV
Sep 3, 2005

I was trying to draw ABG from an AIDS patient. On first attempt I could not draw any blood and before I was going to try again with that needle I got stuck superficially. I would like to know how much risk I am for contracting HIV while I am on PEP regimen.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

It is difficult to give you an accurate assessment of your risk without additional details. In prospective studies of healthcare providers, the average risk of HIV transmission, after a percutaneous exposure to HIV-infected blood, is estimated to be 0.3%. There are many factors that might affect the actual risk of HIV transmission during an occupational exposure, including:

1. quantity of blood 2. depth of injury 3. viral titer in source patient.

As with all occupational exposures, you should file an incident report, be evaluated by an HIV-knowledgeable physician and follow the guidelines for evaluation and management of occupational exposures. Your risk should be less than the estimated risk, because your wound was superficial and you are taking PEP.

Good luck! I'll send my best good-luck karma that you have not been infected by this incident.

Dr. Bob

Previous
end the war
Next
UP in the South

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.