Really hoping to at least semi-wohoo

Hello Dr. Bob let me first echo the thoughts of many other readers of this site and say your work is truly appreciated, kind, and very much needed. I have followed your site for a number of years and it has always helped me to cope with some of my irrational HIV fears. However, I feel this time I might have screwed up and put myself at a potential risk. I should note I was tested not two months ago and that test was negative.

I was at a wedding this weekend and early Sunday morning I had sex with a woman. As always I used protection, well not "as always", to be honest Dr. Bob it was the first time I have had sex in two years, however I must be very out of practice because I had two condoms completely break on me. Both breakages were caught pretty fast, within a few minutes. I have defiantly read your other posts on the subject, I was wondering though if the same stats can generally be applied to my case because to be honest I am very very worried. I did go to a general physician today to see about PEP and she said they only do that for people exposed in the medical field. This was at UNC and could not get through to Duke :(.

Thank you Dr. Bob any help would be greatly appreciated. Either way I would love to make a contribution and help support your great cause. Also, I would like to take a chance to send my thoughts and prayers to all the people in the Gulf effected by Hurricane Katrina.

Thanks for your kind comments.

You haven't had sex in two years??? Hmmm . . . no wonder your condoms popped. They probably qualify as antiques by now.

Can the same stats generally be applied to your case??? Well, of course they can. Estimated-HIV-risk statistics obviously apply to everyone.

Regarding the advice you received on PEP, that's absurd. Nonoccupational PEP has been the standard of care for quite some time for significant HIV exposures. Perhaps the doc you saw is merely confused, uninformed or outdated. Or perhaps she's judgmental, like the ones who refused to prescribe birth control or the morning after pill. At any rate, even though PEP should have been available to you, I would not recommend you use it for this minimal-risk exposure. I would suggest you get an HIV test at three months -- and a fresh supply of condoms and water-based lubricants. I'll send you my best good-luck karma that your test is negative, O.K.? Thanks for your donation to my foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

I echo your sentiments about Hurricane Katrina. I also believe it's worth pointing out that while the hurricane has wreaked havoc on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, we should recall the role Haley Barbour (Governor of Mississippi) played in derailing the Kyoto Protocol. Barbour served as RNC Chair, Bush campaign strategist and author of the Bush-Cheney Energy Policy on CO2. Bush, following Barbour's advice, opposed mandatory CO2 caps due to "the incomplete state of scientific knowledge" of global climate change. This month a study published in the journal Nature by an MIT climatologist linked the increasing prevalence of destructive hurricanes to human-induced global warming. The science is clear. Perhaps our destructive addiction to fossil fuel and the policies of Barbour and Bush have not only contributed to the catastrophic war in Iraq, but now to the climate chaos of Katrina. So yes, let's send our thoughts and prayers to all the people affected by Katrina and let's oust Bush and his cronies, whose selfish policies have contributed to yet another human disaster.

pregnant girl again...almost woohoo but two more questions...and donation on its way!!
How soon after infection can Acute HIV infection symptoms show up?