The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

please don't move to canada!

Aug 30, 2005

I know you wear a wedding band from Dr. Steve, but we here in America need you. My question involves multiple exposures. You say the stats for receptive oral without condom is 1 in 10,000. Where I'm confused is I went down on a guy and deepthroated him between 5 and 10 minutes, sometimes deepthroating, sometimes not, sometimes just using my hand. Would evry time I deepthroated him be counted as a single exposure, or the whole 10 minute encounter be one exposure. I go for my 3 month test this Thursday and am scared, as it was unprotected, no ejaculation, but precum. I've had swollen armpit nodes, fever, sore throat, etc. I'm nervous and scared, but also extremely thankful for the info and comfort you provide.

Response from Dr. Frascino


The statistic I gave was per-episode (the entire thing from start to squirt), not per-suck. I should also remind you that the estimated risk of 1 per 10,000 exposures is with an infected partner (not a partner of unknown HIV status).

Good luck with your three-month test this Thursday. I'll send my best good-luck karma!

Regarding moving to Canada, well, if they pass a constitutional amendment writing discrimination into the Constitution (banning same-sex marriage), Steve and I may indeed consider relocating until this country once again comes to its senses. So if you want to keep us around, you know how to vote!

Dr. Bob

I thought i got HIV from oral sex
shaven or unshaven in +/- couple?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint