Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

white tongue, nerves wrecked
Aug 28, 2005

Sir, I really need an honest answer, all alone here, no one I can talk to. 40 days ago I had given a guy oral sex, he ejaculated in my mouth. About two weeks later I had this thick white film on my mouth, my doctor said it was thrush. No other symptoms, no fever or anything, but I saw where thrush is an early sign that I may have been infected. i went and had a blood test done just yesterday which is right at the 39-40 day mark and they told me it was negative. Can't sleep, no appetite, losing a few pounds from worry. Married so my wife thinks something's up. Should I tell her or am I worried about nothing? Thank you and please respond, I need someone to tell me the truth. Thank you again, sir.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Oral sex carries a very low risk for HIV transmission. Your negative test at 40 days is extremely encouraging; however, HIV tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered definitive. Your problems insomnia, anorexia, weight loss are related to guilt and anxiety.

Should you level with your wife? Yes. I really do believe honesty is not only the best policy, but that it's also the right thing to do! It's also the most effective way to confront your fears, guilt and anxiety. Latex condoms should be used until your three-month definitive test.

Are you "worried about nothing?" No, you are worried about the consequences of your actions. Do I think you've contracted HIV? No, statistically the odds are overwhelmingly in your favor. However, testing and being honest with yourself and your wife are still essential.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
AFR-AIDS
Next
Three questions for the King

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.