|Tested or not?
Aug 26, 2005
Hello, Thank you for reading this.
My worry is that i may be HIV + and not know it.
I recieved unprotected oral sex from a Thai girl on hoilday there. I also had protected intercourse with her.
One week later on my return home i had an awful fever lasting 1 day and was taken to hospital for tests. They concluded it was a virus.
Since then i have worried about being HIV. One year later i had swollen armpits for 1 week and swollen cheeks on 3 occasions. More recently i have had a horrible taste in my mouth and a whitish colour on my tongue.
I have suffered from so much anxiety, i keep thinking im really ill.
I feel that going into my last year of uni im not in a position to recieve a positive test result.
Am i worrying to much, should i get tested now, or after i have finished uni?
Thank you for your time
| Response from Dr. Frascino
Test now for three reasons:
1. Your HIV risk is incredibly small and your symptoms are not at all worrisome for HIV.
2. Chronic anxiety and constantly thinking you are "really ill" is unhealthy, unnecessary and unwarranted.
3. By the final year of uni, you should be smarter.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- What Kind Of Doctor Treats Shingles?
- What Is The Life Span Of Syphilis?
- What If You Took Medicine For Chlamydia And I Still Have Symptoms What Does That Mean?
- What Do Doctors Give You For Shingles?
- What Are The Consequences Of Untreated Bacterial Vaginitis?
- Testing For Gonorrhea In Men After Exposure
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.