herpes can weaken immune system
Aug 24, 2005
Okay since it is not likely I can get rid of your equally adorable partner and given I am not your flavor and therefore will never marry me me :( can I address something you said in a recent post that I found puzzling. Since herpes infection is known to increase the risk of aquiring HIV, I think this is relavent to many on the site. True of False 1. Herpes much like HIV uses CD4 cells taking them over and destroying them 2. a reduction in CD4 counts/cells may lead to a weakened immune system if numbers fall below normal ranges
if both are true then theoretically herpes can if even transiently weaken the immune sytem and moreover what if the herpes is disseminated (which I understand is rare and perhaps even more so in the absense of advanced HIV disease) but none the less exists independant of HIV infection. Considering there could be mulitple herpes infections at any given time the amount of CD4's affected could affect lymph and subsequent CD4's on labs to a significant degree.
Am I way off on this? confused
"No, herpes does not weaken the immune system."
Response from Dr. Frascino
Yes, my partner is adorable and no, you can't get rid of him. So what should you do? Hmmm . . . try for a three-way????
Now, regarding your true/false game:
1. False. Herpes does not use, abuse and destroy CD4 cells like HIV. These are two very different viruses.
2. True. As CD4 counts fall, the immune system deteriorates. However, this has nothing to do with herpes.
So are you way off on this??? Yup. Way off on the herpes theory (and the possibility of a three-way). Sorry.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Swollen Lymph Glands Could I Have Acute HIV Infection
- Black Spots After Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Itchy Skin After Touching Skin Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Pain In Penis After Reused Needle Worried I Have HIV
- Painful Red Spots After Receiving Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Nodes After Unprotected Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.