herpes can weaken immune system

Okay since it is not likely I can get rid of your equally adorable partner and given I am not your flavor and therefore will never marry me me :( can I address something you said in a recent post that I found puzzling. Since herpes infection is known to increase the risk of aquiring HIV, I think this is relavent to many on the site. True of False 1. Herpes much like HIV uses CD4 cells taking them over and destroying them 2. a reduction in CD4 counts/cells may lead to a weakened immune system if numbers fall below normal ranges

if both are true then theoretically herpes can if even transiently weaken the immune sytem and moreover what if the herpes is disseminated (which I understand is rare and perhaps even more so in the absense of advanced HIV disease) but none the less exists independant of HIV infection. Considering there could be mulitple herpes infections at any given time the amount of CD4's affected could affect lymph and subsequent CD4's on labs to a significant degree.

Am I way off on this? confused

"No, herpes does not weaken the immune system."

Yes, my partner is adorable and no, you can't get rid of him. So what should you do? Hmmm . . . try for a three-way????

Now, regarding your true/false game:

1. False. Herpes does not use, abuse and destroy CD4 cells like HIV. These are two very different viruses.

2. True. As CD4 counts fall, the immune system deteriorates. However, this has nothing to do with herpes.

So are you way off on this??? Yup. Way off on the herpes theory (and the possibility of a three-way). Sorry.

Stay well.

generalized lymphadenopathy...a scared nurse
Re: Hiv+ from unprotected oral(sent donation)