1 in 10,000 from Pakistan.

Hi / Aslam-O-Alikum.

Dr Bob, first of all I would like to admire the work you are doing. Its excellent and no one is doing such a great work for depressed and tensed folks. You are working as guardian angel for millions across the globe without any discrimination of nationality and religion. Dr I am one among those depressed, tensed and freaked out humans who considering themselves with HIV after having low risk exposures. I just came across your web site a week ago and since then I am reading archives all the day and first time in the last six months feeling little relaxed and can see a ray of hope for me, especially reading the answers for guys who are having almost same symptoms. I met one male almost 6 month ago, when I met him he was looking little tired while walking (may be his style of walking) and hiding his eyes with black goggles. We had oral sex including French kissing(10-15 minutes), I sucked him for a short while only( I remember no pre-cum and ejaculation in my mouth) then we did mutual masturbation while kissing( I used my right hand, no cuts or sores on hand, on his cock for 6-7 strokes and then I used same hand for my masturbation, there may be some pre-cum from his cock on my hand and used for my masturbation, Dr, I have many like small pimples for last couple of year on the edge of my cock head(pain less and nothing comes out when I press them ) I am worried it could be route of virus transmission. Next night: light Diarrhea and fever, gone away with next day treatment, but I kept feeling very light fever for next 3-4 days but there was no fever as doctor told me. One week later: Nausea and low apatite problem (lasted for one day and gone away after medication) In third week: itching all over my body(1-2days) soreness in my right arm elbow( still it comes and goes back) swollen lymph node in neck(olive size which comes and goes back and still it shocks me when I feel it ) light fever( lasted 3-4 days in third week after sex and gone away after some antibiotics tablets) Mlayge , profuse sweating under my armpits and groin area ( lasted for 3-4 weeks) light night sweating ( 2-3 nights) stool disorder( shiny stool and with thick watery liquid drops some times, still continued) very white tongue, I am having white tongue problem since last 2 years, but since third week after sex it has become more white with very small white hairs on both edges of the tongue(OHL) and in morning when I awake up it seems like white coated paste on my all tongue then I clean it with tooth brush and every morning I say its HIV. Mouth burning, cold feeling in gums and light pain in teeth (still comes and goes back since last 6 months) white hard palate, white back throat area. 6 kg weigh lost in last 6 months. In 6th week, sever muscles aching in legs which lasted for almost 3 weeks, 7th week: couple of red itching rashes on chest for 2-3 days. Light constant headache for 1-2 days, some neurological disorder (cold sensation on the top of head, less energy in arms for 1-2 days and strange feelings of sleep) 9th week: cold type problem which comes and goes and make me feel sick, 13th week: sore throat ( strep throat lasted for 3 weeks) mouth ulcer (lasted for one week) 16th week: skin problem in the palm and fingers of my hands( new skin comes again and again, still continued) joint pain, and some other symptoms which comes and goes back for a short while. Dr it is a very long list of symptoms and I am sure every reader of my symptoms would be sure for my HIV status. My six month is about to finish and swollen lymph node, white coated tongue(OHL), mouth problems(burning, teeth pain, white throat and hard palate, burning in the back part of throat) and dandruff in my head hairs makes me crazy ever day and every night and always make me sure about my positive status. I am passing my life like a prisoner who finds himself back the iron rods and waits for his death. Living in a country where being a gay is considered a sin and then with status of HIV is not less than a death penalty. Dr I have lost all hopes in last six months and cry every night, no medication for HIV patients is available here and according to some reports people who are living with this virus are dying without medication everyday as no one is ready to accept them and to provide them care. This fear really kills me every moment and in last six months I died and born in every single minute. I have not thought for HIV test even once in last six months after reading the symptoms of HIV acute infection in second week after sex. But now after reading some response to the almost same questions I am thinking to take the test and now can mentally prepare myself after getting your answer. Dr. I would like to ask you 1) my risk is 1 in 10,000 so am I that one? 2) Do depression, anxiety and stress can be the only cause for this bunch of symptoms, especially fever and swollen lymph node and very white coated full tongue? 3) Are my symptoms = HIV? Should I consider the test now? 4) Can I Woo Hooo!!! If I get a negative result? My next month half salary plus donation from my friends which I shall collect very soon for your wonderful organization helping needy people across the world will be sent on the mentioned address in the archives.

Thank you,

Adnan.

Hello Adnan,

It is indeed tragic there are places in the world where being gay is considered a sin and HIV, a "death penalty." This is something you, your family, friends and contacts must work to change. These attitudes are immoral and will only change when people everywhere demand they do so.

To answer your specific questions:

1. No, you are not the 1 in 10,000.

2. Yes, anxiety can cause an amazing variety of symptoms (as you read in the archives).

3. HIV symptoms, no matter what they are, do not equal HIV disease. The only way to determine if you are HIV positive following a potential exposure is to get tested. Should you test now? Yes!

4. Can you WOO-HOO if the test is negative? Absofrickinlutely!

Adnan, your statement that "every reader of my symptoms would be sure for my HIV status" is not true. I, for instance, am quite confident your symptoms are not related to HIV. I also doubt your white-coated tongue is oral hairy leukoplakia (OHL). By the way, your dandruff may make you crazy, but it is unrelated to HIV disease.

Adnan, stop being one of the "depressed and tensed folks." Your HIV risk was minimal and your symptoms are much more consistent with anxiety than a viral illness.

Finally, once you have your WOO-HOO, don't forget others caught in your same nightmare. Demand change in Pakistan!

PEP
un-evasive answers