If My Symptoms Were ARS, Would You Have The Guts To Say So

Dear Dr. Bob:

You always say to people: your symptoms are not suggestive of ARS. I think I have symptoms that are "on target" ARS symptoms. Do you have the guts to agree in this case?

Here goes: Had sex with a prostitute (high risk person). We used a latex condom, but it broke. This exposed me to 2-3 seconds of sex.

Exactly 7 days after exposure, I develop "on and off" armpit pain.

Exactly 8 days after exposure, my groin area feels heavy and is tender in one spot.

Around Day 10 post-exposure: no more armpit pain. However, groin heaviness and tender point is still present.

I read most of the archives. If these are target-ARS symptoms based on the symptoms and timing, would you dare to tell me so?

I know that my risk is pretty low. But based on everything I have read: it looks like ARS?

I have a small town doctor, who says this is no way near ARS symptoms (not even by a long shot). But I value your word more.

Help a worried kiddo, please.

Hello Worried Kiddo,

You claim to have "read most of the archives." But apparently you weren't paying attention when you did so.

Do I have the "guts"? . . . . Would I "dare to tell"? . . . . What the hell are you talking about??? I'm here to provide scientifically sound information. Guts and daring have absolutely nothing to do with it.

Your HIV risk is minimal 2-3 seconds of exposure to a prostitute as a result of a condom failure. Your symptoms are not "on target," nor are they even consistent with HIV ARS.

Have another read through the archives, Worried Kiddo. And this time, pay attention!

A three-month HIV-antibody test will give you a definitive result. The odds remain astronomically in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this very brief exposure.

Testing - Methods for the Future?
Thanks Doc