Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

If My Symptoms Were ARS, Would You Have The Guts To Say So
Aug 23, 2005

Dear Dr. Bob:

You always say to people: your symptoms are not suggestive of ARS. I think I have symptoms that are "on target" ARS symptoms. Do you have the guts to agree in this case?

Here goes: Had sex with a prostitute (high risk person). We used a latex condom, but it broke. This exposed me to 2-3 seconds of sex.

Exactly 7 days after exposure, I develop "on and off" armpit pain.

Exactly 8 days after exposure, my groin area feels heavy and is tender in one spot.

Around Day 10 post-exposure: no more armpit pain. However, groin heaviness and tender point is still present.

I read most of the archives. If these are target-ARS symptoms based on the symptoms and timing, would you dare to tell me so?

I know that my risk is pretty low. But based on everything I have read: it looks like ARS?

I have a small town doctor, who says this is no way near ARS symptoms (not even by a long shot). But I value your word more.

Help a worried kiddo, please.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Worried Kiddo,

You claim to have "read most of the archives." But apparently you weren't paying attention when you did so.

Do I have the "guts"? . . . . Would I "dare to tell"? . . . . What the hell are you talking about??? I'm here to provide scientifically sound information. Guts and daring have absolutely nothing to do with it.

Your HIV risk is minimal 2-3 seconds of exposure to a prostitute as a result of a condom failure. Your symptoms are not "on target," nor are they even consistent with HIV ARS.

Have another read through the archives, Worried Kiddo. And this time, pay attention!

A three-month HIV-antibody test will give you a definitive result. The odds remain astronomically in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this very brief exposure.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Testing - Methods for the Future?
Next
Thanks Doc

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.