Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

is HPV an HIV vehicle?
Aug 22, 2005

Hi Doc, I would be grateful if you can clear-up this query I have circulating in my head as I cannot find anything on the net about it.

Can you contract HIV by contracting HPV where the HIV virus might somehow have attached itself to the HPV cell?

I am not a Doc and dont know the mechanics of these 2 viruses but I have this fear in my mind.

I took a test 5 months ago and was ok, and since then I always used a condom properly. However I still managed to get HPV from pubic skin contact around the base of the condom and hence resulted in one small wart a month later.

I am still stressed about HIV. I dont want to go through the anxiety of another test and just need some clear cut advice.

I read that HIV is more likely to pass when you have an STD, but they dont say how. I assume this is when you have not used a condom and are exposed to open sores ( or open sore to open sore ) where the virus can enter more easily.

Also, how do I make a donation ?? I would like my question considered.

Many thanks and I hope you guys continue to be patient with all us cronies !!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Well, if you can't find anything on the Net about a particular subject, chances are it's not real. And that's the case with your HIV-attaching-itself-to-HPV theory. These are two completely different viruses that are transmitted in two completely different ways and that cause two completely different sorts of medical problems.

I see absolutely no reason for you to continue to be stressed about HIV from the information you provided in your question. Yes, having certain STDs can increase your chances of getting infected with HIV, but certainly not in the manor you describe of HIV attaching itself to an HPV cell. O.K.?

Donation information for The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the Foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. However, please note donations are certainly not required to have one's question considered!

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Thank You
Next
Newly Diagnosed

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.