The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

MGUS, anemia, high wbc, HIV?

Mar 28, 2001

I'm a 30 year old female. I've been exhausted for about 5 years now. Last June I fainted, went to the hospital, they showed a high wbc, and blood in my urine. They attributed my wbc to a probable sinus infection. In November I developed pressure hives. Dr discovered I have iron def. anemia, hemoglobin 10 something, hematocrit 32, but my periods are very irregular and haven't had one for about 10 months. Also showed B12 def. wbc of 13, and monoclonal ant. I've been tentatively dx w/MGUS, pending bone marrow test. Blood was still showing in my urine, no infection. B12 has helped some, they finally did CT scan to look at my kidneys. I get the results tomorrow. No one has mentioned HIV, but it's in the back of my mind. I know MGUS has been associated w/HIV+, but what else can cause it other than multiple myeloma, should I get tested for HIV? Thanks for your help. :)

Response from Mr. Kull

A decision to get HIV tested needs to be based on more information than symptoms. A person could have symptoms that look a lot like HIV infection, but have no risk for infection based on their history. In that case, you would want to rule out other illnesses. If you feel that there is a real chance that you have been exposed to HIV in the past, talk with your doctor about your concerns and see if she/he recommends testing.



  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint