Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Symptoms don't equal diagnosis

Dear all,

I would like to start by saying that Dr. Bob is truly one of the most wonderful beings on earth.

Second, to all who worry too much, the only thing I can say is that worry will do no good. I was recently in the situation that I thought I may have contracted HIV. I scoured every forum and site on the internet given my symptoms. I have learned symptoms mean nothing.

About a year ago I had an unprotected intercourse with a woman of unknown status. 3 weeks later I came down with vomiting, diahrea, a fever, and muscle aches. About 6 months later I was diagnosed with molluscum. Then, 8 months after the encounter, I had swollen lymph nodes that persisted (and still persist) for months. All these symptoms equaled HIV to me. I was afraid, nervous, a general wreck. I had convinced myself that I was HIV +. I was sick of being killed by anxiety, so I went and got a test. This was the most nerve racking thing I have ever experienced. I needed those close to me to get me through. The results came back and I was fine, even though all of my symptoms were eerily similar to those of HIV, as was the timing of some of my symptoms.

You cannot know until you are tested. It is a difficult thing to do, but is more than worth it. You owe it to yourself. Draw on your love and support to get you through. All you can do is that.

I know, because I've been through it. Don't associate symptoms, it will hurt you mentally and physically. Good luck to all, thank you.

Beleiver

Hello Beleiver (shouldn't that be Believer?),

Thanks for writing in and sharing your story. Maybe we could rewrite a few of the lyrics to the old song by the Monkeys, "I'm a Believer:"

"I though good health was only true in fairy tales Meant for someone else but not for me HIV was out to get me That's the way it seemed Disappointment haunted all my dreams.

And then I got the test, just in case Now I'm a believer There's not a trace Of doubt in my mind . . . ."

Stay well, you Monkey you!

Unused PEP Meds ...
Please answer doc - donating to you now