Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Faeces + HIV transmission
Aug 20, 2005

Hi,

I apologize in advance, because this is kind of disgusting. But I'm worried enough to ask you about it.

It happened when I was making out with a girl I'd met for the first time that evening. She was still wearing clothes, and I put my hands down the back of her pants, inside her underwear. To my surprise, I felt something sticky and pulled my hands out. When I sniffed my fingers, it became obvious this girl hadn't wiped herself properly (or at all) since her last (heavy-duty) visit to the bathroom! That pretty much put a damper on things and we didn't go any further!

I washed my hands with soap and water, for obvious reasons. But now I wonder if there is any risk of catching HIV this way. Could there have been any blood from her side? I didn't see any. I also didn't have any visible cuts or abrasions on my fingers.

I've checked the archives, but haven't found anything like this - perhaps nobody else has been unlucky enough to hook up with somebody who doesn't know even the basics of personal hygiene. Rimming seems the closest analogy, and I'm aware there are no documented cases of HIV transmission that way. Even so, I would really appreciate your reassurance about the risk in this case.

I'd also like to thank you for this forum. There is so much hysteria sounding HIV, but you are a rare source of common sense and good advice. It's truly impressive.

I read somewhere that more is known about HIV than about any other virus. Is this true? HIV affects a huge number of people and is something that nobody can ignore, but there are other diseases, such as malaria and Hepatitis B, that affect even more people. So why is it that HIV, more than any other disease, provokes so much fear, especially irrational fear (I'm probably a case in point myself, hence this posting)? I'd be interested to hear your view about this.

Thanks so much - even if you don't get time to answer my posting.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Yup, I agree . . . kind of disgusting. However, your HIV risk from making out with Winnie the "Poo" is nonexistent.

HIV has always been a highly stigmatized illness. Its two-plus-decade history is a litany of fear, ignorance, hysteria, denial and apathy. Toss into the mix sex, I.V. drugs, gays, religious condemnation and no vaccine and no cure, and you wind up with irrational fears. To get a historical perspective, try watching these films:

1. Angels in America 2. Longtime Companion 3. And the Band Played On 4. Common Threads.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Chlamydia treatment
Next
Please help...worried sick!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.