The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Burning Mouth Syndrome

Aug 20, 2005

Dr. Bob,

I want to first thank you for all your amazing work you do on behalf of HIV education and prevention.

Please sher this story. During my I-must-be-infected stage (Note: tested negative during and after window period... woo hoo!!), I experienced every possible symptom -- diarrhea, sore back, white tongue, oral ulcers, and even a horrible burning sensation in my mouth. Scared and concerned, I searched the archives on thebody and found a post from an indiviaul who said that men do not get burning mouth syndrome and that if your mouth burns, it is definitely HIV. Although Dr. Reznick correctly refuted that clearly wrong statement, the post very much freaked me out. I thought for sure I had HIV, which just furthered my anxiety and depression. It turns out, thankfully, I am not infected with HIV. Turns out my burning mouth was a symptom of my severe anxiety and depression (along with repetitive tongue thrusting) and has gone away since entering therapy and learning of my negative status.

Please post this, because I fear that there are or have been many other individuals who like me have read the posting from 2001 only to convince themselves that their burning mouth is a sign of HIV infection. As you always say, you can't diagnose HIV from symptoms, get tested!!!!

Response from Dr. Frascino


Posted with pleasure.

Congrats and WOO-HOO.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Wait, is your website secured?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint