Burning Mouth Syndrome

Dr. Bob,

I want to first thank you for all your amazing work you do on behalf of HIV education and prevention.

Please sher this story. During my I-must-be-infected stage (Note: tested negative during and after window period... woo hoo!!), I experienced every possible symptom -- diarrhea, sore back, white tongue, oral ulcers, and even a horrible burning sensation in my mouth. Scared and concerned, I searched the archives on thebody and found a post from an indiviaul who said that men do not get burning mouth syndrome and that if your mouth burns, it is definitely HIV. Although Dr. Reznick correctly refuted that clearly wrong statement, the post very much freaked me out. I thought for sure I had HIV, which just furthered my anxiety and depression. It turns out, thankfully, I am not infected with HIV. Turns out my burning mouth was a symptom of my severe anxiety and depression (along with repetitive tongue thrusting) and has gone away since entering therapy and learning of my negative status.

Please post this, because I fear that there are or have been many other individuals who like me have read the posting from 2001 only to convince themselves that their burning mouth is a sign of HIV infection. As you always say, you can't diagnose HIV from symptoms, get tested!!!!

Posted with pleasure.

Congrats and WOO-HOO.

Stay well.

Wait, is your website secured?
hiv