OraQuick - To believe or not to believe...

Quick question (no pun intended): After a potential exposure 6 months ago, my boyfriend got tested for HIV @ a clinic where they utilized the OraQuick method. They collected an oral sample (swabbing upper-and-lower gums) from him, tested, and the result came back negative - hurrah! However, this seems questionable. Is this method reliable? Am I able to relax now following a stress-filled 6 months? Thanks in advance for your speedy response (hint-hint)! You're the bestest!

In fact, my response was so speedy, it was waiting for you at the time you posted your question. All you had to do was check the archives! There you'll find multiple similar questions, always with the same response. OraQuick is FDA approved and has a sensitivity and specificity exceeding 99%. Negative tests are regarded as definitive; positive tests need confirmation by standard serology. And now we have yet another response with the same information from your friendly Department of Redundancy Department.

Stay well. Congrats!

Window Pain: The Beginning of the End
Out of patience