Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Window Pain: The Beginning of the End
Aug 20, 2005

Dear Dr. Bob,

Wow, what a day!

First my doctor calls me back to tell me that I tested negative for HIV and Hepatitis 9 weeks from possible exposure. Then, when I get home I find your acknowledgment of receipt of my recent donation in my mail box. Thank you also for the kind words in your response!

While I know that a negative result at 9 weeks is not definitive and conclusive, I also know that it is very encouraging, and given that my risk level is low (a couple of minutes at most of unprotected cunnilingus and several minutes of vaginal intercourse with a condom that did not fail), that the odds are astronomically in my favor that I am negative. I also just needed the good news to give me that boost I needed to make it through the final three weeks.

I will be taking my final test on September 9, which is 88 days from possible exposure, and that based upon what I have read in your responses to other posters here, a negative result from that test can be considered conclusive and whoohooable.

I look forward to that day not with trepidation but with eagerness. It saddens me to read posts from others who seemingly cannot accept the fact that they are HIV negative. Come on people! Embrace the good news and get on with living your life!

I will follow-up with a sequel: The End of Window Pain and a larger donation.

Kind regards,

Tom

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Tom,

Yup, nine weeks negative is very encouraging. Yup, your risk was minimal at best. Yup, your odds are "astronomical." Yup, 88-day negative would be woohooable. Yup, "window pain" will be ending soon.

Thanks again for your donation. Hang in there. You are almost home free (as in free of HIV!)!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Thought safer sex practices were safe....
Next
OraQuick - To believe or not to believe...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.