Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

a classical question
Aug 18, 2005

Dear Dr. Bob,

I am one of those freaking husbands that had a one night affair (or better said 20 minutes) with a sex worker. Deep kissing, oral and vaginal sex with condom. Both guilt and worries of infecting my wife made me test myself after 4 weeks on p24 and antibodies; the result was negative.

I know that my risk was low, maybe unexisting, but the doctor informed me to come back in 5 months, the 3 months test was not necessary. The idea of waiting 3 more months is making me feel very nervous and i wonder if it is absolutely necessary.

I will donate to your foundation at least the same amount, as I spent on the 'farm of joy' and the testing together.

Thank you for your site and all the best for you.

Un toro caliente from Spain..

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Spanish Toro Caliente,

If the latex condom was used properly and did not fail, your risk of HIV transmission would be essentially nonexistent. However, if you are worried and feel there may have been a possible exposure, a single test at three months would be considered definitive and conclusive. Your four-week antibody and p24 negative test is very encouraging, but not definitive.

I do not believe you have any cause for concern from an HIV perspective. Guilt seems to be the biggest problem at the moment. The best way to confront that problem is to level with your wife. Although I realize that won't be easy, it is the most effective way to cope with guilt and it's the right thing to do.

Good luck, Toro Caliente, and thank you for your generous donation to my foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). Helping others in desperate need is an effective way to rack up excellent cosmic karma. We'll all send our best good-luck karma that your three-month definitive test remains negative.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Risk?
Next
It's affecting me greatly in Singapore

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.