Risk?

Last night I had anal sex with my partner and the condom split at the tip. I am HIV positive and am currently taking combination drugs. I have had HIV for four years now, and I recently had a check up at my clinic and my viral load is below 50 (undetectable) and my immune level is 460. I did not ejaculate and it happened minutes into the intercourse, and I withdrew immediatly. I was just wondering what the risks are? We are both a bit worried now and want to know whether he should go for a text in 12 weeks?

Thankyou for all your help, Mark

Hey Mark,

The estimated per-episode risk for acquisition of HIV from unprotected (or condom failure) receptive anal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 50 per 10,000 exposures. Your partner's estimated risk may be lower, as there was no ejaculation, the exposure was extremely brief and your viral load is undetectable. However, HIV testing is still warranted at the three-month mark. As a member of a magnetic couple, I should also remind you that PEP (Post-Exposure Prophylaxis) is available for accidental significant exposures, but should be started as soon as possible after an exposure and no later than 72 hours.

Good luck to you both!

can dogs transmit HIV?
a classical question