Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Conservative Cincinnati Magnetic Couple.
Aug 14, 2005

Morning Dr Bob. Need your unbiased expert advice here. Some facts: BF is positive and just started on his meds about 2 weeks ago. Last night I mentioned to him before anything happened that I had a mouth cold sore (very very small) but still there. I think it's there from too much Vitamin C, sorry I digress. We were kissing pretty passionately and I know that some of his saliva did get into my mouth. Through this entire relationship my BF has been very honest with me and he appears to be EXTREMLY educated in the HIV department. Since it was just kissing he said that I have nothing to worry about. However, the skeptic in me worries. Is there a risk here that I should be worried about? I've read numerous responses on this topic from you and I think that I am fine, but I want some reassurance.

Last but not least. This is my bigger concern. The foreplay led to me (negative) inserting my unprotected penis into him (poz) for a very brief time (say 30 seconds). This happened very acidentally. I was performing outercourse (I think that's the term) and during the act my penis did slip and penetrate him. I didn't cum and quickly pulled out. There was absolutely no cuts or abrasions on my penis and no visible blood anywhere to be found on my penis after the fact. Believe me I looked long and hard! I'm upset that this happened. Should I be worried of infection?

On an unrelated note could you please send some democrats to Cincinnati. Heck I'd settle for open minded Republicans! If you ever find yourself in Cincinnati my BF and I would love to have you over for dinner. Thanks again, Paul.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Paul,

First, the kiss. You state you have read numerous responses on this topic from me and you think you are fine, but you want some reassurance. O.K., I suggest you reread all those numerous reassuring responses I already posted, because I, too, think you are fine.

Next, the unprotected, unanticipated, accidental probing of your boyfriend's backdoor. The estimated per-episode risk of acquiring HIV from insertive anal sex is 6.5 per 10,000 exposures. Your estimated risk may be even lower, as your exposure was very brief. Should you be worried? No, but I would suggest HIV testing at the three-month mark. As for your self inspection after the fact, considering what you and your hottie boyfriend were doing, I'm sure your look was both "long and hard!"

Regarding Cincinnati, I know that city well. I spent four years there at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine. If I come for dinner, will we be having chili???

Finally, isn't an "open minded Republican" an oxymoron??? Actually, I think Ohio is waking up to Dubya's insensitivity and political shenanigans. It's interesting to note that it was in Cincinnati on Oct 7, 2002 that Bush gave that fateful speech that sped Congressional ratification of the war just days later. As usual that speech was chock-full of self-delusion, half truths, and hype. He claimed "high level" contacts between Iraq and Al Qaeda going back decades (gross exaggeration to say the least based on Senate Intelligence data), Saddam "could have a nuclear weapon in less than a year" (we now know that wasn't true either). So on these and other false premises Iraq was a collaborator on 9/11 (lie) and about to inflict mushroom clouds on America (another lie) Americans, including the 19 marine reservists from Cleveland who were slaughtered in just 3 days earlier this month, went to war. However did Bush even bother to show up in Ohio this week to salute the fallen? No way! He's too busy vacationing in Crawford --- after all, I'm sure it's very tough work trying to avoid Cindy Sheehan, the grief-stricken Mom camping outside his ranch. Ohio may have been a bit slow on the uptake, but I tend to think today there are more than a few "new democrats" in your fine state.

Stay well, Paul. I'll send you my best good-luck karma that your test is negative. Give your boyfriend a hug from me. I know starting HAART is a milestone and can be challenging.

I'm here if either one of you needs me, O.K.?

Dr. Bob

Previous
the cdc is stupid
Next
HIV & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.