Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

why are people in denial
Aug 14, 2005

Hi Doc, why are people in such denial about HIV/AIDS? It's been around for like 24 years now, and people are still making really bad decisions. Many people eat right, work out, don't smoke, cut back on alchohol, but when it comes to unsafe sex, they don't seem to care. Is it just complacency? Greg Louganis has it, takes pills, and is okay. Or they think Magic Johnson is okay. That seems to be the attitude sadly. Some of these people were children when AIDS began, while others were born after AIDS, so they've known about it their entire lives. It just surprises me what people are doing when we have all the information in front of us. Bearbacking is in, sex parties are going on without protection, random internet hookups. I'm confused!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I wish I had a simple answer for you, but I don't. The AIDS epidemic began with confusion and fear, quickly moved into a period of hysteria and ignorance and now has progressed to a period of complacency, apathy and denial perhaps it's most dangerous phase yet! Some folks tragically feel that HIV/AIDS is someone else's problem like world hunger and global warming. And, of course, we seem to be in an era of bad decision making. Do I have to remind you who is currently occupying the White House and most of the seats in Congress (and soon the Judiciary as well)? Finally, even though HIV/AIDS information is indeed "available," the prevention program here in the U.S. remains shamefully inadequate. When's the last time you saw a condom ad on TV? If those who feel Greg Louganis and Magic Johnson are okay were to talk to them, I'm sure they would come away with a completely different view of what life with HIV is all about. Increasing HIV awareness through education and advocacy remains one of the missions of my foundation, The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org) and other similar foundations.

You can help by openly discussing HIV/AIDS with friends, families and lovers.

Dr. Bob

Previous
There is NO Dr.Bob in China.........What to do? Where to go?
Next
Petrified Italian Democrat living in Texas (dont hold that against me)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.