Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Red spot and oral sex?
Aug 14, 2005

Hello Dr. Bob

First off, I would like to thank you for being such a positive presence on the web and for taking time out of your day to entertain and answer questions from people such as myself. My question pertains to oral sex: a couple of weeks ago I engaged in mutual, unprotected oral sex with a married man whom I presume / hope is HIV-. I would also like to add that I had shaken off the last symptoms of a mild cold just a couple of days prior and had been using Afrin and aspirin like a lunatic up until then. Its worth mentioning that I didnt get any ejaculate in my mouth and I detected no precum (on a side note, he said he has never produced any and has always been dry as a bone). About three days afterwards I noticed a blood red spot the size of a quarter on my soft palette above my uvula. It didnt bleed and it wasnt sore to the touch. It disappeared completely within two days. My primary concern is that I read (of course, online) that the entry site for HIV sometimes exhibits such a blemish. My question is two fold: is that true? and would my just getting over a cold place me at greater risk for infection? I understand that the risk associated with oral sex is very low and I am wondering what an expert thinks of my situation. Im not in the habit of engaging in the above behavior and am trying my best to keep fear and doubt at bay.

In regards to politics, no need to worry as Im a solid democrat and a donation is on the way.

Best regards, Oral in Orlando

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Orlando Oral Guy,

Another married man with a dry as a bone boner . . . . Hmmm . . . that's the third one this week from Florida. Maybe Minnie (Katharine Harris) and Goofy (Jeb Bush) are putting something in the water at Disneyworld????

O.K., now on to your questions:

1. Does the HIV entry site exhibit a blemish? No.

2. Would getting over a cold place you at greater risk for HIV? No.

As for my being a "positive presence" on the Web, thanks! I do my best to be positively "positive!" Thanks also for your donation! It's urgently needed and warmly appreciated. (www.concertedeffort.org)

Regarding Dubya, I saw a bumper sticker today that read: "Don't blame me. I didn't vote for him!"

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Should I get tested? Get PEP? Whatever? Help!!!
Next
scared by testing facility

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.