Calling from Dubai not so crazy italian anymore !!!!

Ciao Doctor Bob, thought i would tell you my story (maybe it will help others).

Some strange symptoms were continuing (this time stomach problems, really smelly stools/wind, nausea, sometimes fever at around 38 C--but not enough to stop me from working, on and off headaches above my eyes/behind my eyes ). My doctor again looked at me. I had only the left groin nodes swollen and badly hurting for one day but nothing else (when i saw him it had started to get better). I am really worried about chlamydia,mycoplasma,ureaplasma infection and of course HIV. I have spent many hours searching the net for any scrap of info that will help me to diagnose symptoms and see if there is any correlation with HIV. During this time of 1 week the doc decides to give me metronidazole and doxycycline antibiotics. He tells me that this will kill whatever bacterial infection i have (including the NGU and chlamidia). He is not concerned with the other STDS (hep B vaccination has been started) given that i had protected vaginal sex gave protected oral sex and got perhaps an unprotected 20 seconds BJ (and advises me not to bother or waste money on a HIV test given my risk factor). In the meantime we do a urine and stools analysis. I got the results today with urine ok but the labs found giardia lambia which explains the stomach problems. I have almost finished the course of antibio but he did say to me not to worry (just like you did and that these symptoms just like the sore throat/coughing/sinusitis previous ones had nothing to do with HIV ). He said the antibio course would kill any bacterial infection (including ngu). He told me not to read the net because there are may sites that give misleading info (and some that say that the antibios he gave me will not work 100 % on the ngu and thus I could infect any female partner with whom i have unprotected sex). As far as he was concerned this is the end of the chlamidya/ngu story and any acute HIV.

My conclusion is that people like myself look for info on the net and we start to worry because we ask ourselves WHAT IF I AM THE ONE who gets HIV from a BJ, WHAT IF the antibio did not work on the ngu .

He told me that the vast majority of people with acute HIv infection will have a fever, generalised swollen glands all over the body and will just feel ill and will seek help. Medications will do nothing to relieve the fever and even then there has to be an admission that one had unprotected anal/vaginal sex to even consider HIV.

I guess the moral is that if you do have symptoms, whatever they are, then please go and see your doctor and explain everything to him. He is in the best position to make a diagnosis. The internet will only confuse, cause normally sane people to spend hours on the net and in some case give out wrong info. Of course your advice to me was spot on and for this i thankyou.

Now i can get back to my normal life and not worry anymore and guess what I am allready feeling better and no longer depressed.

I do hope that by now you received the donation via airmail (hopefully it has not been stolen).

I hope never to write to you again with my silly and stupid problems, but i will write to wish you well in your own battle.

Con i miei migliori auguri e saluti,

paolo

Hi Paolo,

Yes, your very generous donation arrived and a thank-you letter is on its way back to Dubai! Please know that your one gift will touch many lives and that it's warmly appreciated.

I'm delighted you are "not so crazy" anymore! Thank you for taking the time to write in and share your story. The Giardia lamblia diagnosis explains a lot and will clear up on antibiotics. I'm glad that your doctor agreed completely with the advice you received here. As for reading about HIV on the Net, folks don't have to completely avoid it. Rather, they just need to stay tuned to reliable sources, like The Body! That way they can read stories like yours and hopefully follow your wise advice!

Stay well, Paolo! Many thanks! Ciao!

Scabies question
Boyfriend positive - we had unprotected sex