Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Lymph nodes and negative?
Aug 14, 2005

Hello,

Thank you for taking my followup question to "Window period extending or just post-test anxiety". And I did make that "less than a million dollar" donation to your wonderful organization.

Why do so many people have generalized lymph tenderness/swelling/pain and still test negative, as can be seen throughout the posts? I noted (in my previous post)that after my 4 month negative ELISA I developed groin pain, but also very sensitive under armpits and a bit around neck, along with white tongue, headaches, etc). Yet negative at 4 months with low risk exposure.

My Dr. has suggested testing at 6 months to allay my fears. But I feel he thinks my swollen lymphs are a sign of HIV, although he says they are swollen within a normal range.

To sort of put this quetion to bed, why do so many people (per the posts), following an exposure, get generalized lymph swelling/sensitivity then test negative out at three months and more, yet continue to have this lymph problem.

Thank you again,

Mr. "Lymph-pain prohibited Woo-hoo"

P.S. Donating to your organization made me feel good. I think everyone should do it.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Mr. "Lymph-Pain Prohibited WOO-HOO,"

Well, to answer that question, let's use you as an example. You had a "low risk exposure," but are worried about HIV and "swollen lymphs." However, your doctor says they are "swollen within a normal range." The keyword there is "normal!" That means your lymph glands are not really swollen. They are normal. Yet, you don't' believe him. You feel he thinks your swollen lymph glands are a sign of HIV! HELLO??? He just told you they were normal!

Your four-month HIV test after your low-risk exposure is definitive and conclusive: HIV is not your problem. However anxiety, depression, guilt and whatever is preventing you from believing that fact. I can't diagnose the cause of your "lymph pain" over the Internet, but I can tell you what's not causing it: it's not HIV. There is an excellent chance your symptoms are directly related to anxiety and irrational fears. The overwhelming majority of perceived lymph node problems eventually resolve when the "sufferer" eventually realizes and accepts the fact that he is HIV negative.

Lymph node problems aren't preventing your WOO-HOO. Anxiety and irrational fears are. I suggest you get some counseling to help you accept the excellent news of your HIV-negative status.

Thank you for your donation! (www.concertedeffort.org)

Dr. Bob!

Previous
Can I put the pieces together? Please answer!!!
Next
Scabies question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.