Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Window period extending or just post-test anxiety?
Aug 10, 2005

Hello Dr. Frascino,

Firstly, you are a rare and refreshing person with the intelligence, strength, courage and humility needed to tackle all the practical and spiritual aspects of these questions which relate to such a frightening issue to us laymen. I admire your work. I wish you the very best in life and beyond.

Having read all the posts, this may seem like a twist on an old theme. But some symptoms persisting following a negative result and would like your opinion on re-testing.

I had brief open mouth kissing and did vaginal manipulation to a stripper (unknown HIV status). Several drinks were had, therefore afraid may have had vaginal secretions on my hand accidentally come into contact with my eyes/nose/mouth by scratching or touching during the encounter. No apparent open cuts on my hands. Low risk?

Subsequently had several colds as it was cold season, then realized I should get tested.

Undecided as to whether window is 3mos or 6mos, I did a bit over 4mos (118days) to sort of average it out.

During the last three or four weeks before taking the test, I freaked. Went on Lorazepam, got thrush, white tongue, geographic tongue kicked in (predisposed), raw throat (not flu-like sore, just raw, no real coughing), cold sore on gums, red sore on corner of lips, migraines, no sleep, no eat, diarrhea several times, two severe night sweats and multiple bad dreams. Anyway, definitely anxiety and stress in there somewhere.

Results: HIV negative after 118 days since possible infection.

However, although thrush treated successfully with Diflucan (after a feeble attempt with Nystatin), tongue still white on the dorsal only (hairy tongue? not likely OHL, I don't think), also now have lower abdominal pains near groin glands for 2 days (due to Diflucan? as I am still on it), throat still 'raw', sinuses reacting a bit like allergy season, post-nasal drip, and I'm in migrane city.

Should I be retested? I thought these were anxiety symptoms, but are continuing post-negative results.

Thank's a million (although my donation will be slightly less than that).

Blessings.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your HIV risk was essentially nonexistent. Your four-month negative HIV test is definitive. Should you be retested? No. I do not feel additional testing is either necessary or warranted. I, too, think your symptoms are primarily anxiety related. I suggest you get evaluated and treated for that rather than continuing to chase a disease you could not possibly have.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Desperate. Going Crazy and Losing It
Next
Re: Hiv+ From unprotected oral sex... . .You were Right (sent Dontation)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.