Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV DUO Positive
Jul 30, 2005

Dr. Bob,

I am from the Middle East and during a routine screening test, I tested positive for HIV (HIV Duo test). I did an Elisa card test and a western blot test which turned negative. The tests were done after 12 weeks of a needle stick exposure. Further, a PCR test also returned negative at 13 weeks (sample was sent to Germany). However, the lab technician warned that the blood sample was not "whole blood sample" and as such results may be incorrect. So another PCR was done by sending the blood sample to Mumbai - India (2 days transit). Here also it returned negative. Does false negatives happen in PCR testing due to the transit time for the sample to reach the lab? Does false negative happen in PCR testing because the blood sample is not whole blood sample? Should I do an elisa test again now that I have completed 6 months after the exposure? Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Mohammed

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Mohammed,

From the information you provided, it appears your fist HIV test (HIV Duo) was a false positive. The follow-up negative ELISA, Western Blot and two PCRs confirm your negative status. If you wish to repeat your ELISA at six months, that's certainly your option to do so. However, the reason to retest would be solely to put your mind at ease.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Robert its your Mum
Next
How far can semen be shot?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.