Repeatedly reactive EIAs

Dear Dr. Frascino: I have a client who was tested twice in 2002 with these results: HIV1 repeatedly reactive; HIV2 neg; HIV1 Western Blot uninterpretable; IFA neg. Client was tested again about 2 months ago at a different lab. Results: HIV1-2 repeatedly reactive; HIV1-2 WB neg. Client's blood type is AB+. Pt is of Asian descent. Only apparent risk is heterosexual unprotected sex. What's causing this and what's the appropriate testing protocol in this situation? Please reply. By the way, I think you have a great website. Thanks!

Your patient is HIV negative.

The exact cause of persistent indeterminate results (formally defined as positive ELISA and a single band on WB) is not completely understood. In this type of situation, I would recommend a non-antibody dependent assay to clarify the serological results. Specifically, I would suggest the qualitative plasma HIV DNA polymerase chain reaction. It has demonstrated sensitivity in the 97%-98% range and its specificity is 98%.

constellation of oral symtoms
Kids education: Abstinence, fidelity, condoms?