Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Which STD tests to get?
Jul 29, 2005

I appreciate your candor and humor very much. It's helped me through these past couple of very stressful months. I'd like to donate to your foundation. Is it possible to use a credit card? Here's my story: I slept with 8 women in the past year (since my last HIV test) who were medium to high risk for STDs (I live in Asia). I obsessively used a condom and checked it under running water every time - never broke. There was deep kissing with about 3 of these women. I received protected oral sex a couple of times also. The twist is that I realized (remembered?) at the end of this year that I often start rolling the condom upside down. Then I flip the condom over and roll it on right. I usually finger the woman before putting on the condom, so there's a slight chance that there were some secretions or blood on my fingers (2 of these women were menstruating) when I pinched the top of the condom, flipped it over and then rolled it on correctly. I saw two postings where you said to two different guys who put on recently used condoms inside out such that the secretions of the woman were then on the inside of the condom. You said to these two guys they had nothing to worry about. I also saw Dr. Krull's posting that women commonly use their secretions to lubricate/masturbate men and gay male couples often do the same using sperm. Dr. Krull said he doesn't recommend doing that, but that HIV has never been transmitted that way. Presumably these situations (including mine fumbling with the condom) are not risky largely because HIV "dies" or denatures within seconds of exposure to air? So, finally, what STD tests should I get? I will get an HIV test next week just because I've been so stressed about it and need the reassurance. How about for deep kissing - any tests needed? What about the condom fumbling incidents? Any tests just to be sure besides HIV? Thanks very much for your reply. Stressed in Asia

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Stressed in Asia,

The HIV risk from the activities you describe, including the condom fumbling, is minimal to nonexistent.

Your STD risk is similarly very low.

A basic STD screen for sexually active folks includes: throat testing for gonorrhea, rectal testing for gonorrhea and chlamydia, urine testing for gonorrhea and chlamydia and blood tests for herpes, syphilis and HIV. Since your sexual activity is limited and "obsessively" condom-protected, you don't need the entire panel, but I included it for completeness.

Regarding credit card donations to my foundation, yes, they are warmly accepted and appreciated. Credit card donations can be made on our secure Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. Just click on the "donate" tab. Thank you for your willingness to help others.

I think you are doing a fine job following the safer-sex guidelines. Continue to stay safe and you'll stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Do or Die.......Help me Dr.Bob
Next
yaba daba ??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.