Partner just diagnosed positive i just tested negative after 6 weeks since exposure

Hi Dr Thank you for taking the time to read this post. I am from the UK - last wek my partner tested positive - I took a test last week and was negative. We last had unprotected sex about 6 weeks ago. I know I need to be tested again at 3 months and perhaps 6. What are the chances of antibodies being made within the first 6 weeks after exposure.

Also, How can I help my partner in these early days after his diagnosis?

Thank you so much.

Sorry to hear of your partner's recent HIV diagnosis.

Your six-week test is encouraging. The vast majority of folks who contract HIV will have detectable HIV antibodies by six-eight weeks; however, that said, you certainly need to continue with your follow-up tests.

Regarding help for your partner, first, make sure he gets hooked up with an HIV specialist for his ongoing care. Next, have him check out the information on the "Just Diagnosed" section of this Web site. It can be easily accessed on The Body's home page by clicking on "Just Diagnosed," which is listed under Quick Links. There is a wealth of information there that should help you both.

Good luck to you both!

Medical forms and disclosure
Do or Die.......Help me Dr.Bob