Medical forms and disclosure

When going to any medical appointment everyone is given a medical questionaire to fill out so they may have your insurance and medical information. While many do not come out and ask, "Are you HIV+" they all ask what medications you are taking. When you answer you are taking AZT it is obvious to everyone that you are HIV+. You hand these forms back to a receptionist for all in the office to see. Why should I have to disclose this to someone who is treating me for something that has no association with HIV such as a simple teeth cleaning? The doctors rarely even see this forms. Can I just fill out the insurance parts? Can I be denied treatment if I refuse? Thanks for being here.

No, you can't be denied treatment; however, I do strongly suggest you level with your physicians and dentist about your HIV status. You can do this verbally and directly to the doctor or dentist. Just advise them you have concerns about putting that information on routine forms. The main reason for disclosing your status to your doctors/dentist is your health. As it turns out, knowing this information should help them to pay particular attention to various conditions that might be linked to your HIV disease.

Hope that helps.

Catchy Titles Suck!
Partner just diagnosed positive i just tested negative after 6 weeks since exposure