Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Medical forms and disclosure
Jul 29, 2005

When going to any medical appointment everyone is given a medical questionaire to fill out so they may have your insurance and medical information. While many do not come out and ask, "Are you HIV+" they all ask what medications you are taking. When you answer you are taking AZT it is obvious to everyone that you are HIV+. You hand these forms back to a receptionist for all in the office to see. Why should I have to disclose this to someone who is treating me for something that has no association with HIV such as a simple teeth cleaning? The doctors rarely even see this forms. Can I just fill out the insurance parts? Can I be denied treatment if I refuse? Thanks for being here.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

No, you can't be denied treatment; however, I do strongly suggest you level with your physicians and dentist about your HIV status. You can do this verbally and directly to the doctor or dentist. Just advise them you have concerns about putting that information on routine forms. The main reason for disclosing your status to your doctors/dentist is your health. As it turns out, knowing this information should help them to pay particular attention to various conditions that might be linked to your HIV disease.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Catchy Titles Suck!
Next
Partner just diagnosed positive i just tested negative after 6 weeks since exposure

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.