Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

its the pregnant girl again....borderline suicidal...PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WILL DONATE!!!!!!!!!
Jul 28, 2005

DR. here is my question again and I have looked at the forums but it seems that the questions i want answered you usually anwer with a joke, as if questions that could actually have high risk you rather not answer (sorry, maybe i am just deperate for an answer). Here i go.....I used protection and was not worried about HIV or pregnancy, incident did not even include full ejaculation as he lost his erection before we finished having sex. still i got pregnant. I got a cold (runny nose, fever, body aches, chills, cough) as well as gastrointestinal problems three weeks after exposure and conceiving. I found out about my pregnancy three weeks ago and after that i started stressing about HIV (meaning that stress could have not been the reason for my flu-like symptoms). I am sick again with sore throat and fever, stiff neck. partner tells me he is healthy and tested negative six months ago, but i know he has had a very active sexual life in the past(my mistake for sleeping with him, i know). I think I got pregnant with pre-cum. what are my risks of HIV? are the symptoms HIV related?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

"Sorry, maybe I am just desperate for an answer . . . ." yep, you're just desperate for an answer. No maybe about it. Apology accepted.

If you got pregnant from this episode, there is also the chance you contracted an STD, such as HIV. I cannot tell from the details provided why your "protection" failed. But it is possible to get pregnant from pre-cum, and HIV has also been isolated from pre-ejaculatory fluids.

As for "symptoms," these are notoriously unreliable for predicting HIV disease.

So what should you do? Since you are still in contact with your partner, I'd suggest you have him get an HIV test. You'll have your answer in 20 minutes. If he's negative, the only potential way he could have transmitted HIV to you would be if he were still in his window period. The odds of this being the case are quite small. For your own piece of mind, you should get your own three-month HIV test. If you are truly feeling "borderline suicidal," you need to see your physician immediately. Excessive stress is not good for you or your baby.

I'll send you my best good-luck karma that your HIV test will be negative.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Less rish if circumcised
Next
Calling from dubai crazy italian donation thru air mail

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.