Rash - Worried

Hello Dr. Bob,

Forgive my English as I am not a native speaker. You are an amazing person. I truly hope that I can become half the person you are. I have some concerns about a very low risk encounter I did. I know I am being a "worried well" but I suffer from OCD as many others that post here do. I had brief unprotected insertive oral sex and deep kissing with a person that turned out to be HIV positive. Obviously, my first reaction was not good until I came across Thebody.com . It has truly helped me deal with this event I had as I realize now that I do not have a good chance of contracting the virus. Anyhow, to my concerns. I had some of the typical symptoms you hear about such as diarreah, sweating during sleep, and fever between 5-14 days after exposure. I did not think too much of it. After all of this I got a rash on the web of my thumb and pointer finger. It is about a 1/4 inch in diameter and red with a few papules(is the right use of the word?). After about a day the redness went away but the papules stayed. Now a week later where the rash was is dry skin and a little flaky with slight bumps. The rash is what really worries me. Why would this rash all of a sudden appear on my hand? Is this a typical rash associated with ARS? I know that is rather difficult to asses the nature of a rash over the internet, but I would not even be worried if it wasn't for this rash. I plan on getting tested at the 3 month mark. I don't how I am going to get the gumption to do it but I feel like I have too.

I will donate after the three month mark. I would donate now, but I am afraid that if I am HIV positive that I am going to need every euro I have. If a negative result I will donate a a lot! I am a very succesful poker player in Europe and a lot of disposable income! I pray for you every night and pray for a cure to this virus.

You hope to become half the person I am? Gosh, you'd only be 2 feet, 10 inches tall! That would hardly qualify you for membership in the Lollypop Guild of Munchkinland.

Your rash is not at all consistent with HIV ARS or HIV disease, so you can relax! The estimated per-act risk of acquiring HIV from insertive oral sex is 0.5 per 10,000 exposures to an infected source. As a poker player, you understand, I'm sure, those odds and would be more than willing to comfortably take a bet that you are indeed HIV negative.

Thanks for the prayers! I'm sending you some good luck karma in return although, in reality I doubt you'll need it!

Dr Care
Threesome Worries- Donation made to your Foundation!!