Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

constellation of symptoms
Jul 25, 2005

I just discovered this site!!!, you are awesome!!!, it is amazing how much pschological upliftment i got from this site,i was finally able to go for the HIV test after reading a number of answers you provided for similar questions. Here is my problem, 1,My tongue has been white for the past 4months,(I noticed it after using antibiotics for 3weeks for a diffilcult paronychia of the great toe) 2,I noticed a painless erythema of my soft palate also for 3months now with associated painless bilateral tonsil enlargement, 3 I also saw 2 whitish papules on my lower lip which cannot be brushed away for 3months now(looks like oral HPV). I wake up everyday discovering more and more lessions ,and I became extremely worried and preoccupied with my body and of course I keep seeing strange things all over . Can this constellation of very disturbing oral symptoms be a coincident or I am manifesting Oral symtoms of HIV? My HIV result will be ready on 07/28/05, My WBC this week is 5.0 with a lym of 2.8 that is 48%, I am an intern in a hospital in NY, I am so scared this might be the end of my career!!!, my risk is moderatley high, I had needle injury with two high risk patient while I was still in India practicing in an endemic community,5yrs ago If it turn out that I am positive what do I do!!! please help me, I am perplexed and it is grossly affecting my job because i am severely worried..cant sleep, cant study!!!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

"Upliftment???" Hmmm . . . I thought that word was only used when referring to a breast augmentation procedure???

Regarding your "constellation of very disturbing oral symptoms," have you had them evaluated by a physician other than yourself? That would be step one. Do I think they are related to HIV? No, I do not. If you had a significant needlestick occupational exposure five years ago, why are you waiting until now to get tested? At any rate, your results will be ready in a few days. Positive or negative, it will not be the end of your career. As far as what to do if you are positive, let's cross that bridge if and when we come to it, OK?

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Oral sex type was no risk?
Next
Simply Need Advise. No Catchy Titles.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.