White patches on tongue

Dear Dr. Bob,

First off, let me say that this forum is a wonderful thing that has been very helpful to me over the last few weeks.

Like others who have posted in this forum, I am a happily married father of two who went to see an escort as a little bit of a naughty birthday present to myself, a massage and then a hand job, but after the massage my judgment failed me and I performed oral sex on her for a couple of minutes at most, and then intercourse with a condom for at most several minutes. When I pulled out, there was a little bit of blood on the tip of the condom. I'm guessing that she was at the beginning of her menstrual cycle. But the condom did not appear to have failed.

Needless to say, like the others, I soon became filled with fears of disease. After reading on the internet about HIV symptoms and saw that white patches on the tongue were one indication, I looked in the mirror and sure enough there were white patches on my tongue. Man did I freak out.

I made an appointment with my doctor the next day and he diagnosed it as oral thrush. At the time I was with the escort, I was also taking 500mg per day of Levaquin for bronchitis. My doctor said that it is likely that the antibiotics and the stress I was under caused it. He prescribed me Nystatin for 14 days, but that did not work. Then I was on Mycelex tablets for 10 days, and that did not work. Now I am on fluconazole and am hoping that will eradicate the white patches once and for all.

Now this leads up to my question. I notice that a lot of other posters also mentioned white patches or oral thrush on their tongues within days or weeks of their sexual encounters. I was wondering, why is this such a common symptom? I know you can't provide a one size fits all answer, but do you have an opinion as to why a lot of people have such a symptom?

BTW, I'm taking the tests for HIV, HEP A & B on August 15, exactly 9 weeks after the encounter. I know that HIV test results before 3 months are not 100% conclusive, but note that on another post you mentioned that the majority of the time HIV can be detected between 3 and 6 weeks after exposure. Though I will test again at the 3 month mark, knowing I am negative after 9 weeks will really set my mind at ease. Will followup after I get my results, and a donation will follow too.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hello Tom,

Why is it such a common symptom? Actually it's not. It's just that folks don't freak out until after they get their freak on. So that's when they begin examining their tongue every 10 seconds and checking their temperatures every 30 minutes, while continuously poking and prodding their neck, armpits and nether regions in search of swollen nodes, etc. They wind up discovering all sorts of normal stuff about their body that they never realized was there before.

Good luck with your HIV test, Tom. And you are correct; it's the three-month one that really counts.

Thanks for your donation! I'll send you my good-luck karma in return. Dr. Bob

body piercings
Hot monkey sex!