Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

the deal with late seroconversion? - worried Kiwi
Jul 21, 2005

hey Dr Bob,

man what an awesome site/forum you've got going! You've really made me feel alot better and have a darn' good sense of humour. Anyway in January this year I was stupid enough to have sex with a 'high risk' girl, but used a condom (not sure if it worked, didn't check). Anywho I developed folliculitus on my chest after 5 months, freaked out, and got tested. My 5 month blood test (152 days) was negative. My question is what is the deal with 6 month 'late seroconversion'? Should I have another HIV test? I've really managed to work myself into an olympic-standard panicker. I took Roaccutane a year before possible hiv exposure and doxycyline from August 04 - March this year (2 months after exposure). Could this affect my test? Why do you say to wahoo after 3 months if there's a 6 month test recomended? Thanks doc,

ps. if you ever holiday in New Zealand give me a yell and you can have some free accomodation, you legend!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Olympic-Standard Panicker,

What's the deal with "late seroconversion?" Well, extremely rare things happen extremely rarely. That's why we call them extremely rare things. For instance, one could ask, "What's the deal with the ad in the personals that reads, 'straight, single, handsome millionaire seeks flat-chested fat woman for long-term relationship kids a plus?'" It could happen I suppose, but only extremely rarely, right?

So relax, Kiwi, your five-month test is definitive; your chest folliculitis is not suggestive of HIV and your Roaccutane will not affect your HIV test results, OK?

Finally, as far as being an Olympic-standard panicker, I doubt you'll make the cut. Just check out some of the competition in the archives.

It's been a few years since I've been to New Zealand. I'm overdue for a trip.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Please, please, please respond. On the verge of breaking down
Next
Interleukin-2 (IL-2),

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.