the deal with late seroconversion? - worried Kiwi

hey Dr Bob,

man what an awesome site/forum you've got going! You've really made me feel alot better and have a darn' good sense of humour. Anyway in January this year I was stupid enough to have sex with a 'high risk' girl, but used a condom (not sure if it worked, didn't check). Anywho I developed folliculitus on my chest after 5 months, freaked out, and got tested. My 5 month blood test (152 days) was negative. My question is what is the deal with 6 month 'late seroconversion'? Should I have another HIV test? I've really managed to work myself into an olympic-standard panicker. I took Roaccutane a year before possible hiv exposure and doxycyline from August 04 - March this year (2 months after exposure). Could this affect my test? Why do you say to wahoo after 3 months if there's a 6 month test recomended? Thanks doc,

ps. if you ever holiday in New Zealand give me a yell and you can have some free accomodation, you legend!

Hello Olympic-Standard Panicker,

What's the deal with "late seroconversion?" Well, extremely rare things happen extremely rarely. That's why we call them extremely rare things. For instance, one could ask, "What's the deal with the ad in the personals that reads, 'straight, single, handsome millionaire seeks flat-chested fat woman for long-term relationship kids a plus?'" It could happen I suppose, but only extremely rarely, right?

So relax, Kiwi, your five-month test is definitive; your chest folliculitis is not suggestive of HIV and your Roaccutane will not affect your HIV test results, OK?

Finally, as far as being an Olympic-standard panicker, I doubt you'll make the cut. Just check out some of the competition in the archives.

It's been a few years since I've been to New Zealand. I'm overdue for a trip.

Stay well.

Please, please, please respond. On the verge of breaking down
Interleukin-2 (IL-2),