The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I need help...

Jul 20, 2005

Hello Dr. Bob, I am a portuguese boy and I`d like to put some questions. I had unprotected sex with a person hiv + and 2 months after I had the most of the symptoms of primoinfeccion. I did at 2, 4 and 6 months tests (4.generation) and they came back negative. But 3 months after the contact I develop a genital candida that still until today (with treatment). My questions are: - Its possible a window period longer because of the genital candida? - Its possible people have candida without a sexual ecounter? - Should I get tested again?

You are invited to come to Portugal, to the Algarve, we have wonderful places with wonderful fresh fish. Sorry my english. Nuno

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Nuno,

If you had negative HIV tests at two, four and six months after your exposure, you are HIV negative. To specifically answer your three questions:

1. No, the window period would not change, because of genital Candida.

2. Yes, Candida (fungal) infections are very common and not necessarily linked to a sexual encounter (or HIV for that matter).

3. No, I see no reason for additional HIV tests. Your repeatedly negative tests out to six months are definitive and conclusive.

Thanks for the invitation to visit Portugal! I'm actually hoping to get there sometime this year.

Stay safe. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Risk from aliens?
Fingering again - Can it be?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint