Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Do people write back about the time they took to seroconvert?
Jul 18, 2005

Dr. Bob,

How are you? I read about your brother... I have a sister living with cancer... I cannot put into words what I feel. I do not have the possibility to be with her more than once per year (she is living in another country). But I call her every single day. Sometimes we laugh, sometimes we cry.

Now, there is a difficult time for me. I was with a high risk women 12 weeks ago. The risk was deep kissing, and unprotected insertive oral sex for about 30 seconds. Then we had protected sex. I read and re-read the "TheBody's" archives. I still have a question: how many people wrote you back regarding the time that took to seroconvert? More precisely, how much time took to seroconvert (in average). I have never used drugs, I think I have a pretty strong imune system. I had a 3 weeks and 8 1/2 weeks negative HIV tests. On July 26th (at 13 weeks) I have scheduled a new test. I hope it will be OK...

This is my second e-mail to you. I hope I will be lucky enough to have your precious answer.

Stay strong for yourself, for your brother, for the rest of us who need you, and even for the idiots who believe that HIV is not their problem.

Thanks,

Marius

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Marius,

The vast majority of folks who become infected with HIV will seroconvert (develop detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies in their blood) in three to six weeks. Your negative HIV tests at 3 and 8.5 weeks are extremely encouraging. Good luck on your definitive 13-week test! The odds are all in your favor.

I'm sorry to hear about your sister. I encourage both the laughter and the tears. Both are essential and therapeutic. My brother and I can at times wind up doing both almost simultaneously, as we reflect on our lives, our loves and all the unscheduled events that define our limited time on this amazing planet.

Send your sister a hug from me.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Worried in Washington -- no need to answer
Next
Neccesary Virus Load for Transmission

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.